Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are accustomed to rain and wind, but we are often not well prepared for snow and ice. Intercity Transit is committed to operating in winter weather as long as it is safe to do so. Here are some tips to help you prepare for using our services during winter weather.
- Prepare Now for Winter Weather
- Familiarize yourself with our Standard Snow Detours
Some area roads are difficult to travel during snowy and icy conditions. The following Intercity Transit routes that serve those streets have standard and/or severe snow detours:
- Route 12 Snow Detours
- Route 21 Snow Detours
- Route 41 and Nightline Snow Detours
- Route 42 Snow Detour
- Route 45 Snow Detours
- Route 47 Snow Detours
- Route 48 Snow Detour
- Route 60 Snow Detours
- Route 62B Snow Detour
- Route 64 Snow Detours
- Route 66 Snow Detour
- Route 67 Snow Detours
- Route 68 Snow Detour
- Route 94 Snow Detour
Routes 13, 62A, 65, The One and Dash will remain on regular route.
However, each time we receive snow in the South Sound, the conditions are unique and can vary throughout the area. Please keep in mind that . weather, traffic, and road conditions may require adjustments to the routes shown here. In extreme cases, service may begin late, end early, or be cancelled.
- Check for Updates During Winter Storms
- Catch your bus at a stop on a flat portion of the street, at Transit Centers, or a transfer point to avoid hills.
- If there's no traffic going by your bus stop, walk to a stop on a busy street.
- Know your snow route. If your bus is on standard snow detour, your regular stop may be closed.
- If your bus stop is on a hill, walk to the bottom.
- Stand back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Expect delays, changes in accessibility and crowded buses
When surface streets are snowy, traffic moves slowly and accidents can add to delays, which impacts our routes and schedules. Our goal is to get our buses and riders to their destinations safely, which will take longer in bad weather. Please be patient.
We always try to provide accessible bus service. But, snow and ice can prevent buses from reaching curbs, stopping at some bus stops, and using lifts or ramps.
If your disability prevents you from using our bus service in the ice and snow, you may be temporarily eligible for door-to-door service on our Dial-A-Lift service. Please call Dial-A-Lift at 360-754-9393 to learn more.
More people use our service during bad weather, so our buses may be crowded. Please follow our Rider Rules to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride for everyone.
Dial-A-Lift operates in winter weather when and where it is safe to do so. If you have a scheduled Dial-A-Lift ride during winter weather conditions, please keep the following in mind:
- Many businesses close during snowy and icy weather. Please contact your destination to verify that they are open.
- If you need to cancel your ride, please call our 24-hour cancellation voicemail at 360-705-5827, or our automated cancellation line at 360-705-5806.
- If you are concerned about the status of your ride, please call 360-754-9393.
- Dial-A-Lift will make every effort to provide service to certified riders let us know that their trips are essential, such as critical medical appointments, or to pick up prescriptions or groceries. Please call 360-754-9393 if your trip is essential.
- Like our buses, our Dial-A-Lift vehicles will be affected by slower moving traffic and accidents. Please be patient with our drivers.
We continue operating Dial-A-Lift except where unsafe to do so. Please be patient with Dial-A-Lift service during inclement weather conditions. Drivers may run behind schedule. Contact your destination to make sure they are open and dress appropriately for the elements.
If you are concerned about the status of your ride, please call us at 360-754-9393. When we must suspend service, Dial-A-Lift may still be available for emergency services such as trips to critical medical appointments or to pick up prescriptions or groceries. Dial-A-Lift staff will make every effort to provide service to certified riders who notify us that their trips are essential. Dial-A-Lift staff will make the final decision about whether or not we can provide a trip safely.
Routes on county roads may be delayed or cancelled. Call Dial-A-Lift at 360-754-9393 for information.
Village Vans may have reduced service hours during winter weather conditions. We will try to contact riders of any changes. If we are unable to reach you, please call 360-705-5840 to find out about service hours, or if your scheduled trip has been cancelled.
Community Van service may be cancelled in snowy or icy weather. Please call 360-786-8800 before you come to our offices to see if our Community Vans are being offered. We may need to reschedule your trip.
- Have a winter weather plan for your group.
- Make sure you have updated contact information for your group members.
- If your driver isn’t comfortable driving the van due to road conditions, we recommend using other commute options.