Take an Intercity Transit bus on your school field trip.
What is the Class Pass?
Schools and youth groups can ride Intercity Transit’s regularly scheduled buses for field trip transportation. Let us know your group’s plans in advance by requesting a Class Pass. We will help you plan your route. Due to the size of our buses, we can accommodate groups of 40 or less people.
Where can you go?
Your group will be traveling on Intercity Transit’s regularly scheduled buses, which means that your starting location and your destination must be a reasonable walking distance from an existing Intercity Transit bus stop. Keep in mind that, depending on your destination, your group might need to transfer buses. When planning your field trip, remember to consider bus schedules and include time for walking to and from the bus stop. When you submit your Class Pass request, Customer Service will help you with these details.
Visit our map to help you find youth-friendly destinations you can get to by bus! Take your students to explore a city park, enjoy a performance at the Washington Center, visit the State Capital, or learn something new at the Wet Science Center.
Why request a Class Pass and ride with Intercity Transit?
- Intercity Transit bus service is zero-fare which means you can take your students on more field trips.
- Introduce your students to public transit.
- Prepare your students for their bus ride by requesting a classroom presentation.
- Intercity Transit Customer Service will help you plan your route including your bus stop locations, boarding schedule and determining if your group will need to transfer buses.
- By letting Intercity Transit know you plan to travel with a large group, we can be better prepared..
- Request a Bus Buddy volunteer to help you navigate the bus system.
How to request a Class Pass
- Submit an online request form at least three weeks prior to your trip. On the form, please tell us if you would like a classroom presentation from an Intercity Transit educator.
- If you request a classroom presentation, one of our educators will contact you to make arrangements.
- Intercity Transit Customer Service will email your bus route information within three days of your request.
- On the day of your trip, simply board the bus with your students. When you board the bus, please tell the driver the number of people in your group. When you get off the bus, let the driver know when everyone has safely exited.
Preparing your students for the bus
To ensure a safe and enjoyable trip for your students and other passengers, please prepare your students for their bus ride by sharing the following information:
- Always be quiet and respectful to other riders.
- There are limited seats on the bus, so some students may need to stand. Always hold on to a hand railing when standing.
- Please move from seats at the front of the bus to accommodate senior citizens, riders with disabilities and people in mobility devices.
- Never cross in front of the Intercity Transit bus unless it is stopped at a traffic light.
- Show your students this fun and educational video about riding the bus.
If you request a classroom presentation, one of our educators will come talk to your students about riding the bus. Students will learn:
- Why public transit is an important part of a community.
- What is active transportation and why it’s an important part of public transit.
- What to expect when riding the bus.
- Bus etiquette and safety tips.
Request a Bus Buddy
Feeling a little nervous about navigating the bus system? Our Bus Buddy volunteers would love to help! Bus Buddies are experienced bus riders with excellent customer assistance skills. They will ride with you and your students to help make sure you get on the correct bus, off at the right stop, and help with transfers. To request a Bus Buddy volunteer contact Scott at 360-688-8832. Please provide 72 hours' notice for local trips and five business days for trips to other counties.
Canceling or rescheduling a trip
If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip, please let us know by contacting Intercity Transit Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-786-1881.